Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I Don't Always Like You But I'll Always Love You

This post is brought about by an argument my husband and I had, are having, whatever you want to call it.  I don't know. 

Let's get down to the point. You can love someone and not like them at the same time.

For instance, I will always, always love my husband.  ALWAYS.   Our phrase we use with each other when we're talking all mushy gushy is "forever and always". 

I will forever love this man and always will.  However, I sometimes don't like him. 

For instance, when he's being extra snarky and I just want a decent response from him I don't like him.  Not one bit.  I don't need snarky remarks when I'm trying to get something done and he's all about pushing my buttons and making jokes.  That's just one for instance. 

And it's OKAY to feel this way.  You don't always have to like the person you love.  You don't always have to like what they do or say.  That's the beauty of being in a relationship with someone you love.  It's about compromise. 

Because life isn't perfect.  Love isn't perfect. Nothing in life or on this planet is perfect and you don't always like the same things as everyone else.  That's what makes you, you. 

You have different interests than your best friend of some odd years but you DO share some of the same interests and that's what keeps you together. 

Another for instance, my bestie of 20 years now is a huge D&B, Trance and Techno music fan.  Now I'll admit, I do have a fondness for some of it but I don't usually like it.  What I do like is heavy metal, rock, dubstep, goth rock and a little bit of alternative music.  This doesn't mean I don't still LOVE my bestie.  Hell, we've known each other for 20 years!  Of course we still love each other! 

But I don't always like her.  She makes poor decisions sometimes, hell, who doesn't?  She has a fondness for candy raisins (ewwww).  She sometimes gets into situations that I couldn't imagine how.  And I don't like those things about her but, again, I still love her. 

My daughters, I don't like them when they're screaming because I took away the toy they've thrown across the room for the umpteenth time but I will forever love them. 

I hope I'm getting my point across.  You can love someone and not always like them or the things they do.  And that's okay. 

So don't beat yourself up the next time you see your husband feeding your daughters chocolate cake for breakfast and you realize you don't like him at that moment because at the end of the day, you still snuggle up by his side and kiss him goodnight and tell him the same thing, every night. 

I love you, forever and always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment