Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Hmmmm....Why should I even bother to wash the clothes?

As I sit here sipping my warmed up yesterday's coffee, still in my pj's, my new babe (whom I shall refer to as Newbie for the rest of these posts) sleeping beside me and my almost one year old (who shall be affectionately known as Bruiser from here on out) downstairs with Oma attempting to feed herself for the third day in a row, I just now realize that I am wearing on my pajama shirt some of whatever the jar of food I picked out for Bruiser for her meal this afternoon may have been. 

This is not the first time something like this has happened.  For instance, I was at the WIC office the other day with Newbie, getting her weighed and checked out and I had to have myself checked out as well because it is WIC i.e. Woman, Infant, Child and they worry about me since I just gave birth.   As I get off the scale I happen to look down and notice something nasty looking on my pant leg, my black pant leg. 

Upon further inspection, it appears to be a booger.  Ew.  I wonder momentarily how a booger got all the way down there at the bottom of my pant leg and whose it may be since I don't pick my nose, neither does my fiance or either of my daughters because they aren't at that stage yet, thankfully. 

So that begs the question, who's booger would it be?  I shuddered at the thought of a stranger's booger being on my leg. 

Unconvinced it was a stranger's booger stuck to the bottom of my pants leg, I proceeded to do the "mom thing"  You know what I mean, that thing where you wipe at whatever it is with your finger/hand whichever you decide to use and then sniff it to try and identify the unknown object, stain, mess, wet spot, whatever it may be. 

Identification made:  Banana.  That's right folks, I had some warmed up, half eaten, banana on my pant leg courtesy of Bruiser, no doubt and had been walking around with what looked like snot on my black pant leg for nearly two hours. 

This realization led me to another question, why the hell should I even bother to wash the clothing if I never get to leave the house with it clean in the first place? 

Of course, I know the answer to that question.  You wash them because you want to be as presentable to the outside world as possible, with good, clean, nice smelling clothing so that you at least don't look like you never get any sleep, barely have time to shower, don't know when the last time you sat down to a hot meal was and barely know where your hairbrush and nail clippers and files are.

It really burns my bottom, when I put on fresh clean clothes and have actually had time to shower that day and I'm out the door looking good, or at least feeling that way, and smelling nice, only to find out about an hour or two later that my child left me a present of some sort of food, snot or slime related item on my nice clean outfit when I said goodbye to them.  Despite the fact that all I did was give them a kiss, our bodies didn't even touch below the neck!  And yet, somehow they have managed to smear banana, oatmeal, milk, juice, something on the smallest most unnoticeable portion of my shirt or pants.

However, as irritating as it may be, once again, I wouldn't change it for anything.  And I know for a fact, that one day, a day I anxiously await, I will be able to leave the house in clean clothing because they'll know their hands or face are dirty and they will wash them all by themselves.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy every moment I have with them while they are as young as they are right now and they need me as much as they do because I know I'll miss it someday.

It's just one of those little things  

No comments:

Post a Comment