Saturday, January 11, 2014

What Counts As ":Poison"?

I read a blog today about Subway and how it's ingredient listings are deceitful as to how "healthy" they may actually be.  I read the blog in its entirety and honestly, I can't give it full credit on it's content and claims. 

Here's the blog for you to base your own opinion upon from what you read and then we'll go from there:  http://www.hangthebankers.com/the-subway-deception/

Read it?  Good. No?  Whatever, we'll move on despite your lack of wanting to read such an unnecessarily long blog without proper credit, claims, fact finding or resource statements.  I really don't blame you if you don't want to.

Now, with all of that being said, which was basically someone telling you they went on their own fact finding mission with not much study work to back it all up and found out that Subway really is just as terrible for you as the other big name fast food chains.  I find it mind boggling that this person was so shocked about the way Subway cuts, preps and packages their ingredients before sending them off to their individual stores for use on a daily basis. 

It's supposed to be "fresh", they said.  Well, how fresh can you expect something to be when it comes from a fast food chain? 

We all know fast food doesn't mean healthy food.  We all realize this and have either come to terms with the fact that our great nation is okay with our food suppliers using preservatives up the whazoo along with growth hormones and more things that we can't even pronounce and therefore should have no business being in our bodies in the first place or we just deny the fact and continue on with our lives as though these things don't exist.

We keep eating the crap that is served to us so readily and easily at McDonald's, Burger King, Hardee's, Arby's, KFC, Taco Bell, Quizno's, Subway, Cousin's Subs, Wendy's, Qdoba, Noodles and Company and even *gasp* Starbucks!  The treachery!

Look people, the list of mass food suppliers that sell us preservative laden foods is beyond long compared to the list of mass food suppliers that pride themselves on being whole and organic.

And why?  Because it's cheap!

That's what it fucking comes down to, ladies and gents.  It's cheaper to go and harvest a crop that has been covered in pesticides and treated with chemicals to keep them healthier and heartier than it is to go and do things the old fashioned way having to battle bugs and molds and diseases on your plants which inevitably drives costs up making your whole and organic foods more expensive in the long run. 

And what do people say to back up their claims that only right minded people who care about their and their family's overall health have to say about it all when you confront them with the statistics of price comparison in organic versus non-organic foods?  

I'll tell you what one lady said to me in the store when I told my husband that we couldn't afford to buy the organic strawberries because they were $5.99 a pound versus 2/$4.00 on the regular store brand ones: "If you cared about yours or your children's health at all you'd buy organic regardless of price." 

WTF?!  When did I ask for your opinion on my food choices?  And since when does being on a tight foodstamp balanced budget that doesn't give room for organic choices make me a person who doesn't care about my child's health?  Or my health? 

And who the fuck are you to come up to me in a grocery store and tell me how to live my life?! I don't even KNOW YOU! 

It really irritates me when people give unsolicited, unwanted and unnecessary advice.  Trust me, if I could afford all organic foods and meats I would buy them in an instant.  But I can't.  So I don't.  It's that simple.  

When you're on government assistance you're lucky to be able to afford enough food for the month, let alone have to worry about buying all organic products. 

The moral of this story is simple folks:  If you can't pronounce it you shouldn't eat it but not everyone can afford to eat just the foods they can pronounce.  And if it bothers you that much that you have been "lied to" about the freshness of your food then stop going to that place of business.  Just stop perpetuating the circle and move on with your life. 

That's all I got today folks.  I'm tapped out after these cortisone injections.  Maybe I can post another blog today or tomorrow. 

P.S.  I'm making homemade beef taco soup for dinner.  And I can pronounce all the ingredients.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment