Thursday, November 21, 2013

What's That? You're Sick? What Do You Mean Still?! Go To The Doctor!

The name of this post pretty much sums up my conversation with a dear friend of mine whom we'll refer to as The Mom.  She has been my reminder to take care of myself for the past year and I honestly don't know what I would do without her.  I've been battling this "cold" for over two weeks now and just finally today made it in to the doctor's office only to find out that I have an ear infection, sinus infection, double eye infection and a throat infection.  This is the same diagnosis my poor baby girls had last night at the Children's Urgent Care.  If I hadn't gone to the doctor when she told me to who knows how long I would have waited and how bad it would have been by then.

I so rarely take care of myself and my own needs.  I didn't even eat anything really substantial today until around 10 pm, unless you count popcorn and a protein bar as substantial.  I'm trying to make time for myself, I really am but it's hard to do on a daily basis with two, still very young girls.  Their needs come first, they always have and always will.  And with them being sick lately, I really was focusing on them so much that I basically ignored my own symptoms and just kept pushing on.

That is, until I talked to The Mom after a very long day and my forehead was throbbing so badly I was bawling my eyes out on the ride home.  She and I had a long conversation after I got home and was tended to by my terribly worried mother.  My mother dosed me up with Nyquil, gave me a warm compress for my swollen and disgustingly goopy eyes, fixed me a Hot Totty for my extremely sore throat and offered to turn the baby monitor on all night long so she could check on the girls if need be so I could get some much needed rest.  Thank the gods she did, too because I slept through it all.

My mother truly is a saint.

During my brief conversation with The Mom (I may have been a teensy bit drunk from the Nyquil and Hot Totty so I was particularly sassy during this conversation), I told her I was sick.  She asked me if she read that right and I said yes, I am indeed still sick.   She retorted with, "What do you mean still?! Go to the doctor!".   This woman, this lovely, kind, caring and adorable little woman (she's about 5'4" and I'm almost 5'10" and this, in my eyes, makes her an adorable little woman), has been watching out for me almost 12 months now, ever since I asked her to help me do my wedding.  She has been a fantastic help to me for so many reasons and I just can't imagine having a life without her and her family in it.  So I trust her, listen to her, take her advice and offer her respect in return. 

Now The Mom is a mother of two young boys with yet another little one on the way (she's dying for it to be a girl but won't know for another few weeks) and she and her longtime boyfriend finally got married this past April.  I love this woman to pieces, as I do most of my friends, but sometimes she can get a little crazy and be just a tad hypocritical (who isn't these days, though?).  When I look at her, I see myself in a lot of ways.  It's like looking in the mirror, she is one of us. The Nutters.  *cackles maniacally* 

Anyway, she's a very religious person, different religion than my own but just as passionate about hers as I am with mine.  She loves her family more than anything else in the world and provides for them as best she knows how.  She's stern when needed, funny when necessary (and unnecessary) and loving always.  She and her husband, whom we'll refer to as G, met many moons ago and when they did something just clicked between the two of them and well, the rest is history.  But the way they look at each other when they're being lovey dovey together, the way they share intimate jokes that no one else is privy to, they remind me so much of my husband and I.  

They're fiery together.  That's the best way I can describe it.  There's a fire that grows a between the two of them, a passion that burns bright but also lashes out and explodes into rage between them from time to time.  Then makeup sex happens or a few hours pass and everything is back to normal as the loving, kind and gentle souls they usually are.  Until that fire builds up too much again and then BAM!  Everything is upside down.

It's kind of funny when you actually take a step back and look at it.  They, just like my husband and I, argue over some of the most redundant and ridiculous things.  It's really never about anything major (but when it is, oh boy, watch out!) and then when you sit back and think about why you were arguing in the first place you realize that you started out with something so small, so insignificant and it turned into something so hostile and so fierce, so quickly, because of passion.  Because of love!

Now I'm getting to the main point of this entire post.  Some may say that a love such as that can't be expected to last very long but contrary to popular belief about this kind of love, it really is the kind that lasts the longest, at least that's what this article is saying: 

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201206/the-12-ties-bind-long-term-relationships 

Basically, it's says the people who interact with their partner more often, spend more time with them and even argue more are the couples who stay together the longest.  It's an interesting conclusion because everyone tells you that it's all about compromise and having similar interests that keeps couples together.  But I honestly believe that this article is correct when they say the more you obsess about your partner the more you love them and that in reality, the more you are polar opposites the better you'll attract to each other, like magnets. 

Regardless of what the article says, in my personal experience, I've found this to be true.  My husband and I are complete opposites, he's a jock, I'm a goth girl, he's a sports fan, I could care less, he's a one genre of music kind of person and I love all different kinds.  The only thing we have in common and share equal interest in is food.  He's been a chef for the past 14 years and I am a damn fine self taught pastry chef/baker. 

I know I was bit all over the place with this blog but I'm hoping you get the point and at least take away some interesting information from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment