Monday, September 9, 2013

Not Always But Not Never

I'm not always right, I'm not.  I know I'm not.  I'll say this however, I am right about 80% of the time.  Now I'm not trying to be egotistical with that statement.  I'm simply stating a fact, something based on evidence I've gathered over the past few weeks.   I will freely admit that I'm never right 100% of the time.  I have made my mistakes and I will openly admit when I have made them. 

Now some of you may say that me just keeping track of how many times I was wrong versus how many times I was right during the arguments my husband and I have had over the past few weeks makes me egotistical but I did it for good reason.  I wanted to shut him up. 

Here's why he needed to be shut up; he is constantly under the impression that he is never wrong.  Even when I know without a doubt in my mind that he is wrong because, let's say for example he is incorrectly quoting something from the news we watched earlier that day and I'm trying to correct him just so he has his facts straight, he will insist that he is not wrong, that he is never wrong and that I'm simply wrong all the time. 

You can imagine my frustration.  So I began an experiment.  Every time we had an argument about facts being correct or not, I would go find out the correct answer from Google when I finally had time to go and sit down and do so.  If I was correct, I would tally a mark in my column.  If I was incorrect I would put the tally mark in my husband's column and I would let him know, which only increased the size of his already massive ego. 

After three weeks of this, my column was getting pretty full and I wondered if I needed to go the entire month that I had originally planned on or if I could make my hypothesis with the data I already had gathered.  Well, three weeks was all I needed because upon asking my husband that very question, he said the same thing.  Three weeks was more than enough information collecting time.  Obviously, he was eager to find out the results of my little fact finding mission, as well. 

Needless to say, he wasn't very happy with the results and accused me of cheating.  Cheating!  Of all things!  Cheating!!!    I was none too happy about that.  I explained to him that he needed to sit and rethink all the times I had come home to go straight to my computer to fact find and put a tally in the correct corner.  Or all the times I stopped what I was doing while we were out to surf Google and make sure I got the information ASAP for a tally mark. 

He quickly admitted defeat, not happily either.  He is still bound and determined to figure out how I cheated or what I did wrong with my experiment.  What he doesn't realize is that him doing so only shows how much of a problem his egotistical attitude really is.  He can't seem to wrap his head around the fact that he may be wrong some of the time and that I may actually be right some of the time.  It pains him, you can see the physical torture, when he has to admit that he is wrong.  Even then, he doesn't admit it as often as he could or should. 

I just don't like to see him in pain so I told him to run his own experiment and do exactly what I did and go from there to find out his own results. 

Well, we're in process and so far, he has come to the conclusion that the experiment is flawed and he needs to tweak it.  I don't quite know what that means but I'm waiting patiently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment