Friday, August 30, 2013

Once again...

It's happened again.  I have forgotten to take care of myself and have been so wrapped up in making sure everyone else has what they need that I still haven't seen a dentist. 

I was supposed to see a dentist while I was pregnant with Newbie and it still hasn't happened.  And now I really need a dentist.  A few weeks ago my left lower jaw was throbbing, my tooth was aching and I felt miserable.  That's all ended now but when I bite down on anything with that particular tooth I get a dull aching throb that doesn't really hurt so much as it's uncomfortable. 

I feel as though this tooth may be dead and I will mourn its loss greatly since it's a molar. 

I don't take care of myself as much I should.  I really don't.  I'm always so worried about everyone else and everything they need before I start to worry about myself and since I rarely ever have time to worry about myself anymore my needs go by the wayside more often than not. 

Everyone tells me I need to make time for myself.  How the hell do I do that?  I can barely fit in a shower let alone time to go to the dentist.  Or the doctor.  Or the chiropractor.  Or the hair salon (what the hell am I saying, I can barely afford a Great Clips hair cut).

My point is this:  If everyone wants me to make time for myself so badly then why don't they help me pick up the slack and get things taken care of so I can make time for myself?

Anyway, sorry for the side rant.  Back to teeth!!

According to certain old wives tales, children leach calcium out of your teeth when you're pregnant with them if you aren't getting enough calcium to support their bone growth.

However, I googled this crap because I just couldn't believe it.  I have a medical background, used to be a CNA and a medical transcriptionist.  I didn't think this was a believable fact.  I thought, from what I was taught, that pregnancy leached calcium from your bones not your teeth and that calcium was quickly replaced by your regular diet after giving birth and stopping breastfeeding.

So where did these old wives tales about losing teeth and getting cavities with every pregnancy come from?

Check this out:  Tooth Loss and Pregnancy

According to this website, which I hope you'll read the article because it really is great information, tooth decay and or loss during and after pregnancy is caused by several factors including improper dental care, previous gum problems exacerbated by hormone changes, vomiting, cravings for sugary foods, vomiting and retching while brushing your teeth. 

They go into detail in the article so I won't bore you with too many excerpts from it but this one in particular caught my eye and seems to be the reason behind my personal issues. 

"...Some pregnant women find that brushing their teeth, particularly the molars, provokes retching. However, you risk tooth decay if you don’t brush regularly. Suggestions include:
  • Use a brush with a small head, such as a brush made for toddlers.
  • Take your time. Slow down your brushing action.
  • It may help to close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing.
  • Try other distractions, such as listening to music.
  • If the taste of the toothpaste seems to provoke your gag reflex, switch to another brand. Alternatively, brush your teeth with water and follow up with a fluoridated mouthwash. Go back to brushing with fluoridated toothpaste as soon as you can..."
You see, while pregnant with my second child, Newbie, I had horrible morning sickness all day long and my gag reflex was absolutely terrible.  So between not brushing properly and the vomiting I was doing so very often my teeth have gone to shit.  I have at least three cavities that I know of and can feel plus my one tooth that I'm sure is dead now, at least the root is. 

Well, now you know why your teeth went bad after or during pregnancy.  And now I know why I need to find a dentist so very badly.  Only issue is finding one that takes my insurance but that's a rant/issue for another post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment