Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Does It Say "Sucker" On My Forehead?

I think it may say sucker on my forehead.  My friend of many years calls me at 9:30 pm to tell me that she may or may not need me to help her watch her 9-year-old son, my godson, for a few hours so she can run her ... on again, off again boyfriend down to Rockford, IL for work.  It's only a 2.5 hour drive one way and I only had to check in on him once and make sure he was still safely tucked in bed anxiously awaiting his mother's arrival.

And he was, he was being a good boy.  He was almost asleep when I got there and I was just going to sneak back out and let him sleep but his bloody cat came in with her stupid collar bell and started meowing like mad at me so of course, he woke up.  He was happy to see me and we chatted for a few minutes before I tucked him back in and locked up the front door again and hopped into my car.

After calling his mother, my friend, and agreeing to meet up so I could give her back her only house key, I went on my way and felt a loneliness for my godson.  He was all by himself, missing his mom, whom he barely sees anyway because she's always working and running her boyfriend (?) around all over gods creation.  Usually, she brings him with so he doesn't have to be alone but tonight was different because he has school in the morning and he can't miss any more of it.

But he is only 9-years-old, maybe it's just me but I think that's a little young for a child to be home alone by himself for about 5 or 6 hours regardless of whether or not he was asleep.

I don't know.  It just bothered me when I got to thinking about how much time he spends away from his mom and then I compare it to how much time I spend with my girls every day and the difference is hugely noticeable.  I spend damn near 24/7 with my girls.  I get a couple hours break here and there because my mother lives with us and they both love Oma time, so I'm grateful for that beyond anything you could imagine.  My godson gets to see his mom for maybe three or four hours a day except weekends when she doesn't work, so he gets to see her all day and night Saturday and Sunday. 

He is finally getting to see more of his father and his father is finally getting his shit together and becoming a good parent.  It's a long time coming but something that was very necessary so my godson could have a father to look up to.

And still, he seems so alone.  He doesn't have many friends outside of a few at school, spends most of his time playing outside alone or inside playing video games.   I guess I feel so terrible about him spending so much time by himself because he used to live with me and we spent so much time together. 

And there isn't a whole lot I can do about it other than what I already do because I have two girls of my own to worry about now.  I feel terrible that I've lost some connection with him but I just don't have the time to spend so much with him anymore and with him not living with me it's hard to get time to see him. 

I'm not saying my friend is a bad mother, because she isn't, she is far from it.  She works her tail off to make sure her son has a roof over his head, clothes on his back and food in his belly.  So I know she's doing the best she can every day for him. 

I don't know.  I just felt bad for him, all alone in an apartment at night waiting for his mom.  I just don't know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment